Sunday 28 September 2014

spiritual sunday - isaiah 43:18


let's face it - we all dwell on the past from time to time...it's human nature. 
we long for what once was - an old job, an old lifestyle, an old flame. 
however, when this longing for what was starts to affect what is, that's when things starts to get unhealthy.

i find myself quite often thinking about how different my life would be if i had done this instead of that or if i had majored in x instead of y. 
all this contemplating and reliving the decisions of past-vanessa wasn't doing anything to benefit the vanessa of today.
i realized that by dwelling on the past and worrying about the future, i was neglecting the only element of time that i really have control over - the present. 

while reading my bible, i stumbled upon isaiah 43:18 which reads:
"forget the former things, do not dwell on the past." (NIV)
*don't you love it when you find a bible verse (or general quote) that says exactly what you need to hear?
i interpreted this verse as saying that whatever the past was, it's gone.
ultimately, we have no control over it and so we must shift our focus to the present which is what i'm going to try to do from here on out.
*emphasis on try...

happy sunday, y'all :)
vanessa

ps. for all my big brother fans out there:
this!
game well played, good sir.
game well played.

but most importantly:
THISSSSS!
bae, though.

1 comment:

  1. I try not to look into the past, it depresses me too much. Life was so much simpler then now. However, I'm ready for God to lead my path to the future. I love that the bible is always full of something that you need to hear that day if you know where to look.

    https://sincerelymissj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete